Tuesday, December 21, 2004

I Wish

This is the time of year when we wish for things, and the wishing is its own reward.

I remember wanting and wishing as a kid for some new toy at Christmas, whatever was on my mind that year. I was a weird kid, not like other kids, so the stuff was off-beat, but just as useless, really, as the stuff all the other kids were wishing for, only in different ways. Sometimes I got what I thought I wanted, sometimes not. In the end what I really wanted was warmth and love, my mother's touch, my father's smile, a sense of belonging...

Hey, is this getting a little sacharine? Yeah, it is. Thanks for stopping me. Now I'm grown up, I know what's important, and there's only one thing I want now: A DATE WITH GWYNETH PALTROW. I've been asking for this for quite a few years now, and so far, nothing. It would have been better to hook up with her when I first wanted to, because she wasn't as famous then, and she would have had more time for me.

But even now I believe Gwyneth and I were meant to go out to a dark coffee house together, and sit across a tiny table lit by one flickering candle and talk all night about subjects big and small, our knees bumping gently under the table, both of us super-aware of that electricity, the room vanishing around us, Gwyneth gazing shyly at me, her casual touch raising the hairs on my arm. We would be amazed at the thoughts we had in common, the feelings we shared unknowingly. We would finish each other's sentences and laugh and laugh at it all, and all the sad years we had not been together would melt away and we'd have known each other forever.

At midnight or later, much later, we would close the place and drive to the beach, where we would walk together in the moonlight, first on the boardwalk, then out onto the sand, then wading into the shallow waves, our shoes tossed aside and our pant legs getting wet, the silver moon shimmering all around us on the water. I would touch her hip and she would lean in to my body, her golden hair dusting my neck, pulling my arm around her waist, that electric touch jolting us both again, this is how it has always been and how it always will be, the shyness gone, turning in to one another, straining together, her feet off the ground now, her eager long legs curled all the way around mine and ankles locked together, her butt in my hands, our two breaths mingling, lips brushing once, brushing twice, the tip of a tongue, two open mouths, a moan in the moonlight, urgent now, I can walk with her weightless on me, each step a little bump, a little thrust, now down on the sand, unbuttoning, unbuckling, skin seeking skin, belly to belly, thigh to thigh, no way to be closer, moving together, how it always has been, how it always will be...

I am ready for this, even though I know it can't work out. We come from different worlds, and we must return to them. There might be a weekend in it, then a few awkward phone calls, maybe a final lunch date at a crowded Musso and Frank's, each of us with far away thoughts.

Still, I wait for my moment, my golden glimpse of heaven. Email me, Gwyneth...

2 Comments:

Blogger Ron Southern said...

I can't quite follow you there. Though she's very attractive, I always felt the same way about her mother, Blythe Danner, whom I've loved since I first saw her in the movie "Lovin' Molly". I don't go crazy about it any more, but she's still quite lovely and, anyway, I'm a loyal sort of guy. I see on the Internet where Gwyneth has won unfrindly prizes for "worst baby name of the year" for some unpronounceable name. So, she also lacks her mother's good taste!

Sat Jan 08, 12:44:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

It's a roulette wheel, isn't it, who we long for? I don't understand it. I just stalk 'em.

Sat Jan 08, 01:47:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here