Saturday, November 06, 2004

Election Reflection: Sad American

I read this crazy letter on Blogger this morning, and I couldn't help responding. There were 11 comments when I first saw the letter. Two hours later, when I got around to writing something, there were 97 comments. By the time I posted, I was number 127.

I suspect this blog is not real. At the very least I'm not sure I believe this woman is being entirely sincere. Read it and see what you think. Since my feedback is buried 127 deep, here's a copy of it:

Dear Sad American,

My first reaction to your letter was that you have pretty clearly outlined the reasons why you shouldn't have voted Republican no matter who the Democrats were running. The more I read, the more I thought that this was some backhanded way to gloat about Bush's victory: My guy's a complete asshole and he's done nothing but bad and dangerous things in his public life, and your guy STILL couldn't get elected! In the end, if Bush's first four years in office weren't enough to tip the scale for you, Sad American, then the Democrats will never have your vote, and probably shouldn't expend too much energy trying to get it.

In broadest terms, the Democrats are the party of the people, and the Republicans are the party of the rich. The reason that sounds clichéd is that it's been true for generations. Shame on us (the loyal left) for not elucidating that point effectively in this past campaign, and for not showing that there are moral reasons for our positions on abortion, welfare, war, racial equality, marriage (gay and otherwise), social security and the environment. Despite your words, or because of them, I doubt the Democratic leadership will ever be able to get through to you, but you're right about one thing: we need to make our voice heard by more voters. And we will.

I can't help noticing that your "blog" seems to have been created solely for the purpose of posting this one message. This makes me wonder if you're for real. Here's my real name and email address. What's yours?

Larry Jones
jones@revision99.com

[NOTE: I've had to change my name here for reasons discussed elsewhere in this blog. In my actual message to Sad American I used my real name and email address.]

I bet she doesn't answer me, or reveal anything concrete about who she is.


4 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Mr. Jones,

Did it occur to you that anyone who wants to know your real name can now find it on the comments to that letter? Food for thought.

I like your blog. And your picture on your profile. Admittedly, though, I was afraid to click on "Full Size View". :)

Fri Dec 10, 11:41:00 AM 2004  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

Holly,
Yeah, it has occurred to me. In fact, after I realized that I should try to hide my identity, I figured out three ways anyone who wanted to could track me down. This is a process of coming out, I guess (Note to gays: You don't get the word "gay" all to yourselves, AND the phrase "coming out," OK?). I can't deny (not strongly, anyway) that I want to be known. I could keep my writing to myself if secrecy or privacy really mattered to me, as could we all, eh? I'd like you to see this little message, and I can't picture you coming all the way back here to find it, so I may post it as a comment on your own blog, which, BTW, I find delightful. I hope you'll forgive the intrusion...

Fri Dec 10, 07:04:00 PM 2004  
Blogger Holly said...

Are you kidding? I love intrusion. You should just be glad that I don't have time to travel to Indianapolis and take secret pictures of you while you eat Chinese food with your friends. Not that I do that with any of the bloggers that I obsess with, but I'm just saying.....

Sun Dec 12, 10:46:00 PM 2004  
Blogger Holly said...

Or Los Angeles. I shouldn't try to blog and do Christmas cards all at once, I guess.

Mon Dec 13, 03:04:00 PM 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here