Friday, January 14, 2005

Skin

The comments section of the previous post sets a new record for revision99.

I'm sending out love to everybody who is reading it and to all who joined in. I will revisit the topic of pigs and pussies again soon (maybe today), and in the mean time the comments section there remains open.


Readers of those comments will be heaving a huge sigh of relief for me, for themselves, and for the world, as I was almost talked into posting naked pictures of myself. Fortunately, it was revealed to me at the last second that someone was having me on, and a crisis was averted.

I started this thing before the U.S. presidential election of 2004, because I had to say a few things about politics, a subject I am interested in. But I don't have time to do the research to back up my opinions, what with trying to earn a living and all. Today I heard a columnist with the Chicago Sun-Times on the radio saying he worked as a street reporter for twenty years before he had earned the privilege of stating his opinion in print. And that's the way it should be. There are too many political pundits today who have never been anything but pundits. They are not seasoned in news gathering and they don't know what has gone before, so there is not enough depth to their writing. Some of them are good writers, but I think I am coming down on the side of "Make them work for it." As a corollary, I had to get out of the pundit business, and fast.

I still believe what I believe, politically speaking, and of course I'm absolutely certain I'm right. I mean correct. But putting it down here without being prepared for instant attacks and rebuttals from, like, EVERYONE IN THE WORLD, is just blogger suicide. Blogicide. I'd get killed, and then I'd whine, start to cry, become morose and alienated, and, well, we all know how easy it would be for me to get automatic weapons. Nuff said.

So I backed off politics and fumbled around for a few weeks, typing a few things here and there, but mostly becoming obsessed with reading the blogs of others, a pastime that continues to derail all my efforts to be productive in any way. So anyway I'm drifting away from politics and just sort of raving about nothing, trying to be nice so other bloggers will like me, and I am dumbfounded when I come upon a request, nay, a demand, for naked pictures. Go look at the previous comments section if you don't believe me.

Up to this point the commenters are keeping it real and the commentary is pretty gown-up, considering the subject. I try to counter with a grown-up appeal to enlightenment and intellectual questing, but this commenter, it seems, won't take no for an answer. Desperate, I start to think how I can satisfy this bizarre demand, as I always aim to please. I don't have any naked pictures of myself. But I do have a tripod and a camera.

I'm trying to remember how the guys posed in that copy of Playgirl I saw, but I keep thinking of the line the Playgirl art director used when she was interviewed in Rolling Stone. Trying to describe the perfect photo, uh, package, as it were (stimulating yet legal), she said she was looking for "maximum tumescence in repose." My heart starts to palpitate as I picture my tumescence maximized, but in repose. The picture is not a pretty one. But I think "This reader is challenging me. I am going to call her bluff."

So I gave in, and I put it in writing -- keep watching, and I'll give you some skin. But as I said above, somebody chickened out, and it wasn't me. Now she's trying to act like it was all a joke, but I didn't see any smilies or anything. On the other hand, thank God she let me in on the joke, before I embarrassed myself and icked everybody out.

7 Comments:

Blogger L said...

Your pig picture is cuter than mine....

Sat Jan 15, 07:36:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

Pigs are pretty cute in general. That's why I SAY IT LOUD: I'm a pig and I'm proud!!

Sat Jan 15, 10:33:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pigs are cute, and they taste pretty damn good, too. Mmm, baby back ribs...

Sat Jan 15, 03:12:00 PM 2005  
Blogger MoonEyedGirl said...

That's one sexy snout. Oink Oink, baby.

Sat Jan 15, 04:43:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

Yes, Melissa, he does have a sexy snout. And he's a pig, like me. And he's naked! Cool, huh?

Sat Jan 15, 07:01:00 PM 2005  
Blogger MoonEyedGirl said...

Lots of symbolism in that picture.

Sat Jan 15, 07:15:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Larry Jones said...

You can't do that! Wait. Can he do that? Anybody? I don't think he can do that.

Mon Jan 17, 07:48:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here